Saturday, July 16, 2016

QuickBooks Online 1099 wizard

This week I was cleaning up a Chart of Accounts in QuickBooks Online because the client's CPA threw all the accumulated depreciation into one account and I had it all broken down by Fixed Asset type, like Furniture, Computer, etc. No problem, I'll just delete the unused accounts. Except accounts aren't really deleted in QBO, they just go to the inactive nether-land. Whatever...

Anyway, a couple of the accounts couldn't be "deleted" because they had been included in the 1099 list. I went to the Vendor center and (because my client uses QBO plus) I clicked on the 1099 button at the top right. I was presented with the opportunity to watch a video or look at a pdf explaining the ins/outs of 1099 production or go ahead and print or file electronically. I love anything accomplished electronically and I was fantasizing that it might actually beat out the beloved print and mail procedure. Not so much:
1099 E-file Service



Starting at $14.99
Includes 3 forms

Additional forms $3.99 each

Ouch. 

So, I bypassed those options and I chose the Blue Button "Continue Your 1099s" below and found myself at step four of the set-up 1099s wizard. I was confused so I did what I always do when a problem seems insurmountable, or at least inconvenient to troubleshoot on my own -  I called Diamond ProAdvisor support. They love me there. I should send a card at Christmas.

Here is what I was looking at:




Apparently, this is where I left-off in the wizard last year. Counter-intuitively, clicking the BACK button twice took me to the page where I could uncheck the Accumulated Depreciation account that I wanted to delete. Notice the steps listed vertically on the left side. Clicking the BACK button took me to the Vendors page, then clicking the BACK button again took me to the page I was looking for, where I could revise the accounts included in 1099s. 

Anyway, I thought I'd share this random bit of discovery and also wanted to add that the IRS is wanting those 1096s by January 31st starting in 2017. So I am resolved and encourage you as well to get all the little bits done now before the panic sets in on New Years Day. 

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment